Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dear Grocery Man,


At times, I wonder if the local grocery man scans my monthly wedding magazine purchase and wonders to himself why it is that I, a twenty-year-old college student, am consuming myself with such nonsense as marriage. Placing it in the plastic bag, I am sure he thinks to himself about the tragic train wreck my life is bound to become when he sees me fumbling through coupons to find that dollar-off-bagels deal I've been saving. I bet he is even more confused when he scans my ring finger on my right hand to find it completely bare.

Take a sigh of relief, Mr. Grocery Man, because I am not planning to tie the knot anytime soon. But I don't blame you. It is unfortunately popular among college campuses to find young, wedding mag-toting women who have yet to receive their bachelor's degrees, but already have the diamond. I won't go into too much detail on how I feel about that subject, but I will say that divorce statistics say that around 50% of people that marry, divorce. That's something to consider before you say 'I do.'

I believe that my love from weddings comes from a very different place. I have a Wedding Crashers outlook on weddings. It is the place where indulging in cake, screaming YMCA at the top of your lungs and getting drunk with grandma is not only normal, but expected. It is the one place where an entire celebration revolves around you and your other half, completely personalized from the cake to the decorations and the vows to the ever-coveted dress. Weddings scream style, but even when you commit bridal fashion suicide, nobody really criticizes you because it's your day. (Although, I've seen some absolutely terrible bridesmaids dresses that, if given a feather duster, could double as halloween costumes.)

As for now, I don't have a fiancé, nor do I have a boyfriend, or even a love interest. But, I do have a lot of friends and when they start getting hitched, I will surely be in attendance.

Until then, a girl can dream. The featured Kenley Collins masterpiece will find a way on to my body... even as a bridesmaid. Friends, I apologize in advance.



2 comments:

  1. Kenley's piece is a blatant McQueen knockoff.

    http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2008RTW/AMCQUEEN/RUNWAY/00340m.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that and compared the two, and while they are still obviously similar, I still prefer Kenley's.

    ReplyDelete